Do you dread being asked to take minutes of meetings?
Are you uncertain about what is required by the minute taker?
Some organisations have constitutional obligations requiring them to record business decisions in a formal way. Other meetings are less formal so the minute taking style is less structured. This course will cover topics such as the purpose of meetings and minutes, meeting terminology and introduction to formal meeting procedure and protocol, tips and strategies to make it easier for yourself, what to record and what not to record, quick and easy short cuts to make the minute taking easier and much more.
Suitable for anyone who takes minutes or records decisions at any type of meeting, formal or informal, large or small. Full outline on website.
Bring $20 (payable to tutor) for workbook. No concession.
This course will assist you to:
- analyse the purpose, structure and functions of committees
- understand the purpose of meetings
- clarify the role of committee minute taker
- interpret committee discussion to synthesise key issues
- develop a note taking style
- explain correct meeting terminology
- The purpose of meetings
- The purpose of minutes
- Meeting terminology and introduction to formal meeting procedure and protocol
- Tips and strategies to make it easier for yourself
- What to record and what not to record
- When and how you should interrupt to clarify points
- How to deal with a difficult chairperson or meeting participants
- If and how much you can participate in the meeting
- Quick and easy short cuts to make the minute taking easier
- How to make sure the minutes are read and people come prepared
- Your legal responsibilities
- Recording motions in formal meetings
- How to design action plans and record resolutions
- How to design effective agendas
- How to format minutes
- How to actually enjoy taking minutes
- How not to spend hours transcribing
*** NSW Government subsidised places may be available for qualifying applicants. Please contact Macarthur Community College office for more information.